October 28, 2012

I was born in an area which is close to Burmese battalions 423 and 424 Southern Shan State in Burma. There were 500 houses and 2500 people. Firstly, in my village local people were happy and comfortable with their life; they have their own shifting cultivation, trading systems, tradition, culture, language and religion. The village was surrounded by many kinds of trees, mountains and lakes; the village was so beautiful, serene and calm. There was no conflict, disorder and fighting amongst each other. The local people had no worry or anxious conditions.
However, unfortunately, in 2001, the Burmese military came and settled and the situation was changing ruthlessly. They constructed so many camps by forcing local people violently and also using their merciless power. Furthermore, the conflict was occurring between SPDC and ethnic minority rebel groups due to extreme political oppression and economic hardship.
At that time I was 13 years old and grade 4. I had witnessed that the military troops forced my father and other local people to carry their ammunitions and load. They were treated very harshly and cruelly without being given food. Also I had seen many people who were unable to carry military materials beaten severely and tortured in several ways. They were beaten in front of family, there were many women crying including their child when they were seeing their father suffering from this. It was so terrible; I did not see my father for 3 months. I was so distraught and disappointed. Only my mother had to take responsibility for family, so how could my mother support our family?  We had lost our occupation. My family faced serious problems for daily survival; there was no one to help my mother.
Moreover, in 2005, the situation in my village deteriorated. There were serious problems for local people. There were numerous human right abuses such as deprivation of education, land confiscation, forced labor, rape, slave labor, forcible relocation, arbitrary arrest and intimidation using torture. It was happening in every area. They seized many land without paying compensation, the SPDC told the local people that they would run the development for local people. The result did not come true; instead they made their own profit.
The military controlled the main lake which is called TiTan, this lake was owned by local people since ancestor time. This lake was most significant and vital for them; they depended on this lake. Military took and irrigated the lake back to their camps. Also, they confiscated several lands based on the lake side. Most people lost their agriculture and farming. Annually the local people have to pay tax and distribution of their crops. It was impossible for local people to make income. If local people could not fulfill the SPDC command, they gave ferocious punishment and coarse treatment in evil conditions. I was very upset when I saw this kind of situation. Many local people were trafficked into certain types of workplace such as dangerous work, paving the way or building road. The local people were very vulnerable. People who could not tolerate and endure that hardship fled and migrated to other hillsides. Some fled to neighboring countries and started their new life there.
In addition, I left my village after I graduated grade 7, because my parents could not support and afford for further education owing to our family financial status. In school there were insufficient materials and resources were not fully available for students. The school fees were so expensive. The teaching method used in school was not student centered; the students have to focus on the teacher or lectures. Student participation in classroom education was totally ignored. It was nearly impossible for students to critique or contribute to their own knowledge and experience in the classroom. At the basic education level, teacher did not empower students to ask questions about their studies to expose critical thinking and participation. Teachers used corruption, exploitation and discrimination. Only Burmese students or rich people could get the right to pass exam easily and get a good understanding of teaching lectures and what they have learnt, because they gave money to teacher.
There was no school that was constructed by government, for local people’s free education. Instead local people had to build the school themselves using bamboo; it could not run and be sustainable for several years. However, local people still pay tax. It was really difficult for poor students to get the same right. They have learnt the subject by heart and memorized it in their mind. Teachers strictly prohibited student initiated discussion, seminars on specific education subject. Also teachers did not encourage the use of personal interpretation or way of critical thinking from outside classroom lectures.
Therefore, benefit of real thing, understanding meaning, general application of skill, subject competence, knowledge empowerment, numeracy, literacy and improved communication skill creativity could not be developed for students. Not only had I quit the school, but also other poor students who faced the same situation as me. As school fees were sky high, many families were reluctant to send their children to school.  There was no effective and useful formation to develop local community and personal sustainable development.
Finally, now I am in exile, I attempt to gain further education and various skills that positively benefit my community. I will not give up for my people, I have learnt and understood  human rights, justice, democracy, environment, international news,  etc from SSSNY. This school opened my eyes and brought me from darkness to light. I have great aims and goals for my community. I will promote and work for my people strengthening their knowledge, education, and capacity building. I will guide them to work hand in hand for their people, for establishing the way to democracy, freedom, and justice.

By Khun Doe

0 comments:

good luck

Ads 468x60px

r
ခြန္မို႔ေလာင္း မွၾကိဳဆိုပ္၏

Featured Posts