October 22, 2012

STEP 1 – THE HEADING



Your details The first thing you need to put at the top of your letter is your name, your address and your contact details. If you are putting an email address you might want to think carefully if you have a ‘fun’ or ‘jokey’ email e.g. joe.iamthegreatest@hotmail. This doesn’t look professional so it would be wise to open a new, more businesslike email. The same would apply if you have a fun message on your answer phone! Make sure you give a telephone number that you can be reached on. When I worked with a hiring manager we received a wonderful application form with a great cover letter – the telephone number given was a home number and there was never anyone there. We got tired of trying to ring this person and so put their form to the bottom of the pile.

Their details

It is extremely important that you put the name of the person you are writing to. Putting ‘To whom it may concern’ or ‘Dear Sir/Madam’ is guaranteed to annoy the person who receives your letter. If  you are replying to an advert, the person’s name is usually given. If not, you can look online at the company’s website. If it isn’t there, you can phone up the company and find out who you should address your letter to.  Under the person’s name put their position at the company. Under that, put the name of the company and their full address. I know this seems a lot of unnecessary work but a cover letter is a professional business letter and it needs to be set out like one.

The date

This can go under your address or the recipient’s address.

Reference details

Sometimes an advertised vacancy will ask you to state a certain reference such as a number or a position title. Putting this under the addresses will make it easy for the employer to find.  

The salutation

Use the name of the person you are writing to. Remember, this is a business letter so start it with ‘Dear ........’   A cheerful ‘Hi!’ or ‘Hey there!’ is not appropriate here.

STEP 2 – THE OPENING  

What should you include in the opening paragraph? The type of position you are seeking. State if it is full time, part-time, voluntary etc. How you heard about the job – if replying to an advertisement.

How you heard about the company – if you are making an enquiry about a possible position. Mention any contacts that you might have at the company. Make sure you have that person’s permission to quote their name. State why you think you are a perfect match for the position.   Here are are some examples of  opening

paragraphs : For advertised vacancies –   I am writing in reply to the classified ad for a .................... I believe that my skills and experience in my current position of .................... would make me an ideal candidate for this vacancy.

I refer to the vacancy for a .................... that was advertised on Monster.com. I have several years experience in this field.   The description you posted in your ad for a .................... is perfect for me as I am currently working as a ...................   I am writing to express my interest in the position of ... which was posted in yesterday’s Evening News. I work as a ...................

so I am aware of the skills and experience needed in this vacancy.   I am applying for the position of  .................... which was posted on your website. I believe I have the experience that you are looking for and would appreciate it if you would consider me for the vacancy.   The job listing in Monday’s Evening Post for a .... caught my attention. I am confident that my skills as a .................... make me a suitable candidate for your consideration.     For general enquiries –   I am presently working as a ...... I believe that your company can offer me the ideal opportunity to increase my skills and experience in this chosen field. I see from your website that your company excels at ............I would love to be more involved in this side of the business and I wonder if you could consider me for any available positions.   Please consider my resume for any future vacancies for a .................... at your company. I currently work as a ................... and I believe I have the skills and experience that your company is looking for.

I am submitting my resume for your consideration with regard to any future openings for a ....................      If you know someone at the company –   I am writing in regard to the vacancy for a….. My former colleague, John Smith, who works in your IT department, told me of this vacancy. I enclose my resume which shows that I have ten years experience working in.................. which makes me a suitable  person for this position.   Please find enclosed my resume for the position of .................... I was told of this position by my friend, Mary Jones, who works in your PR office. I understand you have not yet officially advertised for this vacancy but I would like to advise you that I have ten years experience of this job as I presently work as a .................... at .......

My friend, Joe Gordon, has advised me of a vacancy for a ................. I would appreciate your consideration of my enclosed resume. I believe I have the skills that you are looking for. Joe works in your admin department and speaks very highly of your company. 

0 comments:

good luck

Ads 468x60px

r
ခြန္မို႔ေလာင္း မွၾကိဳဆိုပ္၏

Featured Posts